We reached out to our community to ask them to share how they practise self-care and self-love, particularly during COVID. Our first guest blog comes from Ines* Arteaga from The Wild Essence yoga company.
Our society is all about bills, income, work and personal finance. It is so easy to become involved in these topics. As a consequence, we often forget how important it is to keep the focus on our wellness. Loving yourself is one of the most difficult skills. I say “skill” because self-love is something you can teach yourself, as long as you want to do this inner work. A journey to self-love is difficult because you need to learn to love yourself on your own. There is no clear path that suggests the right way to self-love and you need to take this journey on your own because self-love starts and ends with you. The good news is that it is worth it.
Here are five reasons why:
- Self-love will make you healthier. When you love yourself, you take care of your body and health. You start thinking about what you eat, how often you exercise.
- Self-love will increase your confidence. Because you will accept who you are, you will not be insecure anymore. You will hold your head up and you will feel beautiful and powerful.
- You will fail easier. Instead of being hard and negative on yourself, you will become kinder and more loving. You will forgive yourself faster.
- Self-love will improve your relations with others. Self-love will make you more positive. Positivity will affect your connections with others and will attract healthy relationships.
- Self-love will make you feel freedom. You cannot be happy and feel free if you do not fully know yourself. Self-love teaches you to become your own best friend, it means that you will take care of yourself and you will be free to be your true self. Self-love releases you from the continuous cycle of negative thoughts about yourself.
Practices to develop self-love
Here are five daily suggestions to develop self-love in your life:
- Start a day with a smile. Unhappiness is in our head and we can switch it. Your happy face will make you and your friends’ day better.
- Move your body every day – go for a walk, run, play badminton, and dance in front of a mirror. Take care of yourself with your favourite movement.
- Be outdoors more. Fresh air will clear your head and will boost your energy.
- Spend time alone. It’s a form of self-love. Give yourself a few minutes – write down your thoughts, feelings, meditate or do some yoga poses. You will become calmer and happier.
- Have a home spa. Take a long bath or shower. Use natural body care products like handmade body scrub or oils. Moisturize your facial skin.
*Ines is a full-time content creator, yoga practitioner, and healthy eating activist. In her 30s, Ines quit her job and started living a more meaningful life. She believes that wellness, freedom and spirituality are the lifestyle bricks placed in our hearts and bodies.
If you have self-care tips and tricks that work for you, particularly any yoga, meditation and mindfulness practices that are supporting you through COVID, please let us know and we will share them with our community.